Inspecting and Understanding Your Roof
Are you purchasing a new home? Have you had your property for a while and want to know the condition of your roof? Whatever the reason is, scheduling an inspection is never a bad idea. Having a professional come take a look at your roof can help to save you quite a bit of money and time in the long run. To schedule a roof inspection for your Spring, TX, dial 832-704-2817. You’ll be connected with Hellenic Roofing & Construction and reliable service.
Why Get a Roof Inspection at All?
There are several times as a homeowner when you may need a roof inspection. When to get a roof inspection is different for everyone, but the general idea is such:
- First home purchases
- After a major storm
- Every few years of ownership
The most important time to schedule an inspection is after a major storm. Our area is prone to hail storms which can easily and quickly cause serious damage to any structure. It can be difficult to see from the ground level and even from the roof if you don’t know what to look for. That’s why professional roofing services are so important. A professional roofer can find and report any damage for a number of beneficial reasons.
How to do a Roof Inspection
What many homeowners want to know is how to do a roof inspection themselves. While we absolutely encourage homeowners to take a look at their roof on their own, personal inspections will never be the same as professional services. That in mind, if you are interested in completing your own roof inspection, there are a few things to look out for.
- Seals and Caulking: One of the first things to look for are the seals. Anywhere there may be a seal, caulking, or even flashing. These are areas that can be prone to leaks or other damages that could result in serious problems for the rest of your home.
- Missing Shingles: An obvious thing to look for is missing shingles. When high winds kick up if there are previously damaged or lose shingles, they can easily be ripped off. This will leave your roof decking exposed to the elements. If this happens during a storm, you’ll likely have a severe leak that you’ll have to deal with.
- Broken, Bent, or Curling Shingles: Sometimes shingles aren’t fully removed from a roof. Instead, they are bent, broken, or so damaged they buckle and curl away from the roof. This is just as serious as if they were completely taken off. These shingles can let water in without you knowing, resulting in expensive leaks.
- Cracked Boots: Around chimney’s and other roofing protrusions usually have a rubber boot around the base. These boots are not everlasting. They can wear down, become cracked, damaged and more. When that happens, you’ll likely have a similar situation to damaged or missing flashing. Water will easily be able to enter the underlying decking and material.
- Moss or Mold: One of the biggest threats to a roofing structure is moss or mold. These can form when bent shingles, as mentioned, are not repaired. Water can get trapped under these sections of roofing and rot the material. The water can also cause mold or moss to grow which will create even more problems for you.
While this is not a comprehensive roof inspection checklist, it is a great place to start. If you are wanting to know more, connect with the professionals at Hellenic Roofing & Construction. We can help you with a roof inspection for any reason.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is involved in a roof inspection?
- What’s typically included in an inspection is a variety of services. The contractor will likely examine your roof from the ground level as well as on the structure itself. They’ll take their time to look over all seams and connections to make sure everything is properly maintained.
- How much does a roof inspection cost?
- It will depend on the roofer you choose. There are many that offer free inspection services and there are some that charge for it. Those that charge usually ask for about $75-$200 per appointment.
- Why do I need a roof inspection?
- The reason you would need an inspection is to determine the source or cause of damage to your home. The most common and needed time for this type of service is right after a major storm. In our area, we can see incredibly high winds, hail and more, all of which can cause serious damage to your roof that you may not be able to see.
- How often do you need to get a roof inspection?
- Professional guidelines state that a roof inspection should happen about once every three years. That’s enough time to feel like you aren’t wasting money but that you are also getting the most out of your roof.
- How do I know if my roof is bad?
- There may be several signs that you can see on your own. This would be things like missing shingles, granules in gutters, and more. If you are starting to notice these signs, they could be indications of a damaged roof. The best way to know is to schedule an appointment for an inspection.
Call Today to Set Up an Appointment Today
If you are in need of a roof inspection in Spring, TX, look no further than Hellenic Roofing & Construction. Call us now at 832-704-2817 for more information.